Occupy Sydney Free School
Where: Martin Place, near Elizabeth Street – Opposite Channel 7
When: Saturday afternoons
Check the Calendar or Facebook Group for upcoming sessions.
What is Occupy Sydney Free School?
Occupy Sydney has been present in Martin Place almost continuously since 15 October 2011. A crucial part of the occupation is open public discussion of issues confronting humanity and the planet. Some of these discussions are organised into a ‘Free School’, held on most Saturday afternoons.
Anyone may offer to lead a Free School discussion or workshop session and everyone is welcome to attend.
Free School is:
- a space for honest, frank and respectful discussion and the building of solidarity amongst participants
- open for everyone to present or join sessions and workshops
- a collective way to address questions about Occupy Sydney’s directions and purposes
- an approach to building the movement and keeping it relevant and sustainable
- an occasion to discuss how we relate to existing movements,groups, actions and struggles
- a place of learning about practical skills and interests helpful to Occupy participants as well as other activists and people interested in open learning environments
- an opportunity for enjoyable group conversations and fun in growing together
- a free and family friendly way to spend Saturday
How can I get involved?
If you would like to run a session in the future, or have recommendations for individuals or groups/organisations who you think we should approach, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The full program of events is available on the Occupy Sydney Events Calendar. If you are interested in being a part of organising Occupy Sydney Free School – there is also a Facebook organising group. you can also leave a comment on this page.
Examples of past sessions:
- Art, Tent Monsters and Revolution
- DIY renewable energy
- A History of Radical Sydney
- Borders and Occupy
- Community Renewable Energy
- Discussion on Occupy Melbourne
- Circus workshop
- Quakers, non-violence and activism
- Nonviolence tactical training
- History of occupation and indigenous struggle in Sydney
- Struggle in Spain and the Indignad@s
- Feminism and Occupy
- Activist Legal Rights and the Arrest Process
- The Environment and Capitalism
- Alternative Ideologies
- Radical Education
- Workplace Organising
- Contagious Strikes: Talk on workers’ struggles in China
- Confronting Capital in an era of risk, with Dick Bryan, Professor in Political Economy at Sydney Uni
- Inequality and Class in Australia, with Mike Beggs, Lecturer in Political Economy at Sydney Uni
- What’s the story with changes to welfare in Australia? With Annette Maguire.
- Mass Media and the ‘manufacturing of consent’ with Wendy Bacon, Professor of Journalism at UTS
- Squatting Struggles in Europe with Marco Sofia
- Chomsky’s Challenge with Paul Rubner